If you are in the Eastern Iowa area, we highly recommend you request to join an active Facebook group called Monarchs in Eastern Iowa. Here, you will be able to connect with many other Monarch enthusiasts, attend advocacy events, and learn more than you ever thought you’d know about our winged friends!
Want to help financially?
You can help by funding us for our future planting projects. Any funding secured will go to the purchase of additional butterfly milkweed seeds, travel costs, and promotional materials.
We believe that each of us has a responsibility and an opportunity to contribute to the natural world around us. Here are some ways to contribute to the conservation of Butterfly Milkweed and the Monarch Butterfly:
- Make your own seedballs! Here is a comprehensive article on how.
- Plant native milkweed and nectar plants. Find sources of local, native milkweed seed in your state using our Milkweed Seed Finder.
- Avoid using insecticides and herbicides.
- Support agriculture that is organic or free of Genetically Modified ingredients.
- Become a citizen scientist and contribute to research efforts to track the monarch population in its breeding and overwintering range.
The Milkweed Matters Projects are certainly not novel endeavors, yet is seems that there is much to be done in the ways of conservation. Here are some established organizations and individuals working toward the cause. Many of the sites below have wonderful resources and additional ways to help.