We’ve conducted several events this spring and summer in order to SURPASS our goal of rolling 35,000 milkweed seedballs. In fact, we made over 50,000!!! It’s been a whirlwind, but we’ve done it! So many people played a huge role in these efforts, and we are grateful for the time, energy, and money put into spreading these seeds across Iowa.
The biggest THANK YOU to all of the organizations, companies, groups, and individuals who made this possible.
|CERA Friends||Conard Environmental Research Area, Kellogg|
|Student Environmental Committee||Grinnell College, Grinnell|
|Ben Elliott’s Eagle Scout Project||NewBo Market, Cedar Rapids|
|Wesley Center, University of Iowa||Iowa City|
|Train the Trainer||Glenwood|
|Environmental Club||Cornell College, Mount Vernon|
|EcoFest and NewPioneer Coop||NewBo Market, Cedar Rapids|
|Festival of the Young Child||Glenwood|
|Saint Alberts School Garden Club||Glenwood|
|Lutheran Church of the Ressurection||Marion|
|Chester Royal Grange||Grinnell|
|Music and Monarchs Festival||Elkader|
|Hiawatha Elementary School||Hiawatha|
|Harrison Elementary School||Cedar Rapids|
|Garnett Place Retirement Community||Cedar Rapids|
|Grinnell Reunion Family Day||Grinnell|
|Grinnell College Global Day of Service||Grinnell|
|Take a Kid Outside||Iowa City|
|Girl Scouts, Troop 5936||Marion|
|Lion’s Clubs Events||Statewide|
|Echo Hill Presbyterian Church||Cedar Rapids|
|College of Public Health||University of Iowa, Iowa City|
|Indian Creek Nature Center||Cedar Rapids|
Here are some fun pictures from some of the seedball making events.
Hiawatha Elementary School
Music and Monarchs Festival, Elkader, IA
Rockwell Collins Team Development Day, Marion, IA
Grinnell Girl Scout Troops
University of Iowa, College of Public Health
Girl Scout Troops 5936 (Grant Wood Elementary) and 5327 (Indian Creek Elementary)
Lowe Park Public Event
Grinnell College Global Day of Service
The 2016 RAGBRAI ride proved to be the biggest Milkweed Seedball Initiative yet! During more than two dozen seedball making events held during the spring and summer of 2016, we have worked with over 1,500 Iowans to roll over 50 THOUSAND common milkweed seedballs! What incredible power this community has.
Here are the basics of how we distributed these seedballs to RAGBRAI riders:
- Volunteers from the local community and our partner organization, Monarchs in Eastern Iowa, staffed a booth in each day’s 2nd pass-through town.
- 6-9 thousand milkweed seedballs were given out to riders who passed by the booth.
- Educational materials, maps, and Monarch experts were on hand to answer any questions riders had about the migration, population decline, milkweed planting…whatever!
- We even released some newly emerged Monarchs! (It is prime breeding season, after all!)
- A small team of riders – called the Milkweed Matters team! – completed the RAGBRAI route while tossing milkweed seedballs from their bikes! We even wore wings while riding!