The 2016 RAGBRAI ride proved to be the biggest Milkweed Seedball Initiative yet! During more than two dozen seedball making events held during the spring and summer of 2016, we have worked with over 1,500 Iowans to roll over 50 THOUSAND common milkweed seedballs! What incredible power this community has.
Here are the basics of how we distributed these seedballs to RAGBRAI riders:
- Volunteers from the local community and our partner organization, Monarchs in Eastern Iowa, staffed a booth in each day’s 2nd pass-through town.
- 6-9 thousand milkweed seedballs were given out to riders who passed by the booth.
- Educational materials, maps, and Monarch experts were on hand to answer any questions riders had about the migration, population decline, milkweed planting…whatever!
- We even released some newly emerged Monarchs! (It is prime breeding season, after all!)
- A small team of riders – called the Milkweed Matters team! – completed the RAGBRAI route while tossing milkweed seedballs from their bikes! We even wore wings while riding!